Need help now?

Conversations Matter is an online resource to guide community discussion around suicide and does not provide clinical services for people in crisis. If you or someone you care about is experiencing personal distress or crisis, there are many ways you can get help, including:

Talk to someone you trust

Sharing your thoughts and feelings with someone you trust can sometimes decrease the burden of overwhelming thoughts of hopelessness or helplessness. A parent, close friend, teachers, colleague or mentor may be a good first option.

National crisis numbers

24-hr counselling and crisis support
Crisis chat (8pm-12am only)
13 11 14 | text 0477 13 11 14 |

Suicide Call Back Service
24/7 telephone and online counselling to people affected by suicide
1300 659 467 |

Kids Helpline
Free, private and confidential 24/7 phone and online counseling service for young people aged 5 to 25
1800 55 1800 |

Online and telephone support and counselling for young people aged 12 to 25
1800 650 890 |

MensLine Australia
24-hr telephone counselling for men
1300 78 99 78 |

Beyond Blue
24-hr telephone support service, online chat (4pm-10pm AEST) and support information
1300 22 4636 |

24/7 crisis support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
13 92 76 |

Dardi Munwurro – Brother to Brother crisis line
24/7 crisis support line for Aboriginal men.
1800 435 799 |

Telephone and online chat support service for lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, and/or intersex (LGBTI) communities, 3:00pm – midnight every day
1800 184 527 |

6am to midnight grief and loss helpline service, and online counselling and resources
1300 845 745 |

24-hr qualified and experienced counsellors providing confidential support, information and referral to support services to assist those experiencing sexual assault or domestic violence
1800 011 046 |


Further support

General practitioner or mental health professional
If you have access to a GP, you can talk to them about feelings of distress. GPs are trained in mental as well as physical health and if you need further consultation, they can refer you to a relevant specialist such as a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Australian Psychological Society
Find a Psychologist™ service helps you to find a psychologist to suit your individual needs. The Find a Psychologist™ directory lists thousands of APS registered psychologists around Australia.

Beyond Blue 
User-friendly online national directory of medical and allied professionals

SANE Australia
Free counselling service supports people affected by complex mental health issues
Online crisis and mental health information for young people 14-25 years and their parents

Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet
The Australian Indigenous HealthInfoNet‘s mission is to contribute to improving the health of Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and assist in ‘closing the gap’ by facilitating the sharing and exchange of relevant, high-quality knowledge.

Embrace Multicultural Mental Health
Empowering Australians from
multicultural backgrounds to embrace mental health and wellbeing

Open Arms Veterans & Families Counselling
Open Arms offers face-to-face, telephone and online counselling
1800 011 046 |

Supporting others

Carer Gateway
Emotional, practical and financial support for carers, including emergency respite and phone counselling 8am- 5pm, Monday to Friday.
1800 422 737 |

Carers Australia
Carer support, services and contact details for your nearest state and territory Carers Association
1800 242 636 |

Mental Health Carers Australia
Supporting and promoting the well-being of mental health carers and their families.

Non-English language support

Translating Interpreting Services (TIS) National
Telephone and on-site interpreting service for people who don’t speak English and for people supporting them
131 450 |